The time has come for students to get back to school. Among the numerous preparations for the new school year, many parents are in search for easy and healthy snacks that will keep their children full and fueled during school hours. Below you can find some ideas for healthy snacks that the kids will love and will keep them full until lunch time.
It is highly recommended that children should always eat breakfast at home before leaving for school. This is not only a nutrition beneficial habit, it is also a great opportunity for the family to spend quality time together.
- Pies or cakes. The most practical of all school snacks. It can be easily carried to school, and children love it! Bake savoury pies (cheese pie, spinach pie) or sweet ones (apple pie, pumpkin pie), and cakes without or with little sugar, and there you have it! The perfect snack for their lunch box! If, after all the baking, you wonder how to clean the oven, there is no need to worry. It can now be done easily and effectively!
- Club Sandwich. Easy and fast to make, kids love it. Toast three slices of bread, and use any or all the ingredients your kids like: mayonnaise, turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, egg. Pierce the corners with toothpicks and cut the sandwich into quarters. Instead of fries, try carrot sticks or oven baked chips!
- Wraps, with the filling of your children’s preference! Place in a tortilla mayonnaise, chicken, lettuce and tomato or cheese cream and salon, and wrap it. Cut it into pieces, and you have the perfect, tasty school snack.
- Sandwich, choose an all grain sandwich bread, and fill it with any ingredients you think are best. Again you can use, butter, cheese, turkey or chicken slices, egg, tomato and lettuce are the most popular choices, you can also try a peanut butter sandwich.
- Pancakes. Yummy and popular, this is a choice that won’t let you down. Make the mixture with 1 cup of almond milk, 1 cup of flour, 2 bananas, 2 eggs and some vanilla. At the end add some chocolate spread or a bit of jam.
- Yoghurt with oats and nuts. A very healthy choice! Choose a full fat yoghurt of 300 grams, add nuts, oats and some honey, children will love it!
It is not always easy to explain why it is much better to eat something prepared at home, rather than something that’s already processed. Once you convince them to try it though, they will realise that the home-made meals are way better than anything they can buy. Do not forget to always accompany the meal with a seasonal fruit in the lunch box!